The following is an email update by Colleen to her family, sent from Jomsom on 23 December:
Hello my family!!
I'm writing from Jomsom at 2720m on day 12 after 140km!! We made it over Thorong Pass a couple days ago! It was the most physically and mentally demanding day of my life. Up to 5416m from 4450m in the morning and then down to 3800m in the afternoon. Of course, it was amazing.
Dee and I are doing well. We're tired - again physically and mentally. We were sick off of some bad water in Manang about 6 days ago. I spent the first half of the night with vomiting and diahorrea, Dee did the same the second half. Luckily, I had stocked up on GI antibiotics in South Korea and we had a scheduled rest day the next day, so we were able to make a full recovery quickly. Other health notes, I have the worst sunburn of my life. Blisters on my nose and cheek - only one side of my face though. Haha. In any case, we figure ourselves lucky. We met quite a few people who were forced to turn back with altitude sickness.
We figure we have 4 or 5 days left. We think we will take another rest day for Christmas, tomorrow or the day after. I will try to call you on Christmas day morning - I have a phone card and Dee has her cell phone. We just hope the Nepal stars align and allow us to do so. I'll have all the family's numbers handy in case you aren't at home. I will be able to write again from Pokhara at the end of the trek - again 4-5 days. Internet on the trail is hard to find and unreliable here, but in Pokhara it won't be a problem.
I miss you guys very much right now. I think of you constantly and cannot wait to see you again!! Say hello to everyone for me!! Dad, give Mom a hug from me, and then, Mom, give Dad a hug from me.
I love you! Merry Christmas!!
Colleen xoxo
Hello my family!!
I'm writing from Jomsom at 2720m on day 12 after 140km!! We made it over Thorong Pass a couple days ago! It was the most physically and mentally demanding day of my life. Up to 5416m from 4450m in the morning and then down to 3800m in the afternoon. Of course, it was amazing.
Dee and I are doing well. We're tired - again physically and mentally. We were sick off of some bad water in Manang about 6 days ago. I spent the first half of the night with vomiting and diahorrea, Dee did the same the second half. Luckily, I had stocked up on GI antibiotics in South Korea and we had a scheduled rest day the next day, so we were able to make a full recovery quickly. Other health notes, I have the worst sunburn of my life. Blisters on my nose and cheek - only one side of my face though. Haha. In any case, we figure ourselves lucky. We met quite a few people who were forced to turn back with altitude sickness.
We figure we have 4 or 5 days left. We think we will take another rest day for Christmas, tomorrow or the day after. I will try to call you on Christmas day morning - I have a phone card and Dee has her cell phone. We just hope the Nepal stars align and allow us to do so. I'll have all the family's numbers handy in case you aren't at home. I will be able to write again from Pokhara at the end of the trek - again 4-5 days. Internet on the trail is hard to find and unreliable here, but in Pokhara it won't be a problem.
I miss you guys very much right now. I think of you constantly and cannot wait to see you again!! Say hello to everyone for me!! Dad, give Mom a hug from me, and then, Mom, give Dad a hug from me.
I love you! Merry Christmas!!
Colleen xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment