Summer in Korea was brutally hot, humid, and rainy, so training was tough. Luckily, the fall emerged as the most perfect season for hiking - cool air, blue skies, cloud-free, and sunny. Moreover, I live on a lake in a basin surrounded by beautiful mountains. Directly behind my apartment stands a small, but steep mountain, Anmasan. While only 303m, it has provided great training grounds for daily morning hikes. On days, when the mountain is unsuitable for hiking, I take a brisk 10k walk to the lake and back home. On weekends, I take longer hikes lasting the entire day (below are photos from 1051m Girisan). I've also added a self-designed combo of stretching-yoga-pilates-meditation to my daily routine.
The approach
Craggy summit
No ropes, but metal railing and mini-footholds are provided on the ascent
And on the equally hairy, near-vertical descent
View from the summit
Down in Australia, Dee is finally experiencing summer and the heat that comes along with it. And unfortunately, the Perth-area can hardly be considered the Alps of Australia (really, can anywhere in Australia?). Given these climate and landscape challenges, she has been training with 7-10k daily walks, with longer 15k walks on weekends. Moreover, Dee is an avid diver and has been training for her Dive Masters, which is providing her with an entirely different kind of workout.
Through this training, we've also broken in our hiking boots (we actually bought the same pair) and become used to carrying weight in our packs. Accompanied by healthy eating, less partying, and more positivity in general, Dee and I can now check one more thing off of the 'to do' list.





No comments:
Post a Comment